Monday, April 21, 2008

Wonder Child

This weekend I made my way through several other books.

First was Wonder Child, an odd little tome I picked up at Goodwill a few months ago. I guess I wasn't in the proper mood for it or something, but ended up skimming through to the end. It was a little too New Agey and "woo woo" for my taste and also just plain didn't make sense a lot of the time (probably because what it was about was re-experiencing what it is like to be a child in order to better appreciate your own children and to better appreciate life in general. I guess if I've lost touch with my childlike nature--the premise of the book--then no wonder it didn't make sense to me a lot of the time! LOL!). There were a number of activity suggestions in it for getting in touch with your own childlike sense of wonder, etc. Some of them were interesting and neat, others were strange. It is hard to describe this book appropriately. It was odd. In the section on birth it referenced a book I'd never heard of called Active Birth Partner's Handbook by Janet Balaskas. So, of course, I went to Amazon just now and ordered it! (Luckily there was one cheap $6 copy that had my name on it!)

I also treated myself to a thoroughly lightweight, not-memorable fictional read--See Jane Date--single twenty-something gal in NYC seeking love on disastrous series of blind dates, etc.

I also finished reading the ICEA Guide for Childbirth Educators, which I've read several times before. Published in 1988, it is still helpful and relevant. Last I checked they were clearancing out copies on their website and on ebay for 75 cents! Well worth it! (Actually, it is worth much more than that! $15-20 would be more than reasonable for it.)

No comments: