Friday, February 8, 2008

Zen Meditations on Being a Mother

Another Bookins acquisition and unfortunately another sort of disappointing one (maybe I'm just in a bad mood lately or something?!). Zen Meditations on Being a Mother was a quickly forgettable book and wasn't very unique or helpful. It came with a free CD of meditation music, which was kind of fun (I put it on during my yoga practice). My plan for this book was to read a "meditation" a day following my yoga practice, but I quickly realized I wasn't gaining anything from the book, so I just read it all up in one sitting. It felt obvious & somewhat trite and also glib and greeting-card-ish. Kind of fast-food pseudo-Zen, not anything sustainable and meaty. I didn't actually recognize that much "Zen" in it--maybe it was just a good title.

On the recognizably Zen side of things, my little $1 Shop Zen-a-day calendar had the following meaningful quote for today:

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished"
--Lao-tzu

No comments: