Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A Bigger Smaller Life

This month I had an article about Simple Living and Financial Freedom published in The Wise Mom (the publication of Holistic Moms Network). The theme of this issue was "Living Simply" and I really enjoyed it. Anyway, one contributor quoted Eat, Pray, Love author Elizabeth Gilbert as saying, "I wanted a bigger smaller life." I connect with this--when I say I want a simple life, I mean I want it to be rich and FULL, but of the things that really matter to me. My $1 shop Zen calendar comes to attention again with this related quote:

"Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might
and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry,
get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough."

--William Saroyan

While I guess that could also seem kind of depressing, for me it sums up simple living--I want to be fully, wholly alive. I think keeping death in mind can be a powerful force in living life fully (though it can also lead you to depressive and existentially trying places!).

Speaking of simple living, I also had my Information Overload article published in the newsletter of the Simple Living Network this month. That was exciting for me, because it was my first non-birth, breastfeeding, or mothering related publication (then immediately followed with my second in the Wise Mom, but the Wise Mom itself is focused on mothering/natural family living, so it is less of a departure of venue for me than the SLN is). Speaking of the Simple Living Network, I am definitely a fan of their site, their newsletter, and their work. I used to participate on their message boards some as well (which are a massive treasure trove of information), but after I had kids, time for message boards got trimmed away (particularly because we have dial-up and so message boards are really slow. I tend towards yahoogroups and other email lists, because I can actually read them!). I don't spend much time at the mothering.com message boards for the same reason (plus, general addictiveness. Need to spend time on the whole actually living thing, not reading about how other people are living!)

1 comment:

PJMorse said...

I read your article in Simple Living. It struck a chord with me. I'm a retired math teacher who moved home to Iowa to take care of my mother. I now have more time to read, but I'm selective and use the delete button liberally. I also subscribe to Utne, best of the alternative press. It only comes every other month, has thought provoking and interesting articles, and I don't have to subscribe to 50 magazines to get interesting and provocative articles.

I enjoyed your article and your blog. Penney