Friday, March 14, 2008

More Zen Quotes

Who knew that I'd find such wisdom in my $1 Shop Zen calendar? I really like it :-)

"Waking up this morning, I smile.
Twenty-four brand new hours are before.
I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at
all beings with eyes of compassion"

--Thich Nhat Hanh

This is more of a good reminder to me than it is an accurate description of how I spend my time! I guess I do so-so with this--I often wake with a sense of joyful anticipation about the unfolding of a brand, new, wonderful day. By the end of the day, I often have exhausted my "compassion" for all beings and usually feel like I didn't get "everything done." I swear, sometimes it seems like I am learning the same lessons over and over again. Maybe one day I'll finally GET it and can move on! LOL!

Okay, another one from my trusty calendar:

"Friend, hope for the truth while you are alive.
Jump into experience while you are alive!
What you call 'salvation' belongs to the time before death.
If you don't break your ropes while you are alive,
do you think ghosts will do it after?"

--Kabir

And another in the same vein, about being fully alive:

"Well-being means to be fully born,
to become what one potentially is; it means
to have the full capacity for joy and sadness
or, to put it differently, to awake from the
half-slumber the average man lives in
and to be fully awake."

--Erich Fromm

Now this I feel I am nearly constantly aware of. I want to live an authentic life, always. Present, aware. Living my one wild and precious life fully and completely.

A final quote and another one that is a good reminder for me--one I try daily to implement (unfortunately, fail daily too, but I keep trying!):

"Everything we do is infused with the energy with which we do it.
If we're frantic, life will be frantic.
If we're peaceful, life will be peaceful.
And so our goal in any situation becomes inner peace."

--Marianne Williamson

Sounds simple enough, but is actually a daily struggle!


1 comment:

dailijon said...

Molly,

I just came across the following quote yesterday and thought it fit right in with the others in your blog:


"Get a life. A real life, not a manic pursuit of the next promotion,
the bigger pay-check, the larger house.
Do you think you'd care
so very much about those things
if you blew an aneurysm one
afternoon, or found a lump in
your breast?
Get a life in which you notice the smell of salt water pushing itself on a breeze, a life in which you stop and watch how a red-tailed hawk circles over the water or the way a baby scowls with concentration when she tries
to pick up a cherry with her thumb and first finger.
Get a life in which you are not alone. Find people you love, and who love you. And remember that
love is not leisure: it is work.
Get a life in which you are generous. And realize
that life is the best thing ever, and that you have no business taking it for granted. Care so deeply about its goodness that you want to spread it around.
Take money you would have spent on beer and give it to charity.Work in a soup kitchen. Be a big
brother or sister. Everyone wants to do well. But if you do
not do good too,then doing well
will never be enough. It is so easy
to waste our lives, our days, our
hours, our minutes. It is so easy
to exist instead of to live. I
learned to live many years ago.
I learned to love the journey, not the destination.
I learned that it is not a dress rehearsal, and that today is the only guarantee you get. I learned to look at all the good in the world and try to give some of it back because I believed in it,
completely and utterly. And I tried to do that, in part, by telling others what I had learned. By telling them this: consider the lilies of the field. Eat in the
backyard with the sun on your face. Learn to be happy. And think of life as a terminal illness,
because if you do,you will live it with joy and passion as it ought to be lived."

--Anna Quindlen