Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Quiet Corner

This week, I finished reading the little book I'd been doing a short reading from each morning. Called Find a Quiet Corner: a simple guide to self-peace, the book itself made much less impact than the title did. The book's content and tips were nothing new or remarkable, but the idea from the title of designating a quiet, private place to myself, stuck. I had a sewing desk in our bedroom that was just a place for junk to pile up. so, I cleared it all up and put some of my special things on it and now I try to take a few minutes to sit there once a day and read a few pages from my next inspirational book, write in my journal, and walk my finger labyrinth. I started this about a month ago and it is nice.

As a little "contest"--I'll be happy to mail this little book to the first person who leaves me a comment telling me why they'd like to have their own quiet corner!

Related to this quiet corner idea, is this quote from Thomas Merton. I've quoted it here before when I read it quoted in a quote in another book. But, this time it showed up on my $1 Shop Zen calendar:

"To allow oneself to be carried away by a multitude of conflicting concerns, to surrender to too many demands, to commit oneself to too many projects, to want to help everyone in everything, is to succumb to the violence of our times."

--Thomas Merton

I need to put this somewhere where I can read it every time I sit down at the computer!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

heehee, you won't have to MAIL it to me at all...I would love to borrow it at playgroup though!

I would like my own quiet space because I need to take just a little time each day to make sure I'm centered and fully ALIVE AND AWAKE in this moment, this day. It's so important to me not to let the days flow by too quickly. Having a special quiet place for myself (I really already do, my garden) and going there, helps me ground myself each day. So often, we forget not only about taking a moment for ourselves, when taking care of our children; we forget that THIS MOMENT, this day should be enjoyed for exactly what it is. No looking forward or back, just the here and now. It's all we really have anyway!

Molly said...

I put it in my basket and will bring it on Thursday!

I complete hear you about your quiet corner and its purpose. Alive and awake is my overriding "mission" for my life. I don't always get there--autopilot takes over on some days--but at least I've gotten to the point where I have portions of every day in which I'm totally present.

Molly :)

Anonymous said...

love your blog!i am still looking for my quite spot. my oldest is going to college in the fall. my middle is in 8th grade----full metal middle school mentality! my youngest is 11 and a 5th grader. i can use any inspiration i can find!

Mom of a bunch of great kids... said...

I want the 1$ shop Zen calendar! lol ;)

Remind me later to tell you about the crazy-grumpy lady at the dollar shop today. She freaking needed a Zen calendar bad. I may even blog about it on our homeschool blog. I turned it into a lesson for the kids about being poilte and kind. LOL.

I also wanted to say that I love L's poem from your June 21 post! So great.