Wednesday, August 8, 2007

One True Thing

My mom lent me her book club read this month, One True Thing. I gobbled it up but it was super depressing :( It was the "uplifting" tale of a daughter caring for her 44 year old mother with cancer and all the details of her decline, suffering, and eventual death. Then the daughter is accused of mercy killing her mother and has to go on trial! What a book selection! I cried, I despaired at what is the point of life, etc. If I'm going to read some fiction, I should pick something lighter!

Speaking of fiction and gobbling...boy, did I gobble up Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows. It was so, so good! I think the books have gotten better and better. They've also gotten darker and darker. This one was sad and the body count rose with each page. I do think the books have lost the sense of enchantment that was present in the the earlier books--poor Harry is just jaded and numb and worn, no more marveling at the changing ceiling at Hogwarts or tasty chocolate frogs or pumpkin juice...

No comments: