Wednesday, January 3, 2007

In Balance

Today I got a variety of publications in the mail and I read In Balance, the newsletter of New American Dream. It always gives me lots to think about, ideas for books to read, and websites to look up. I love their motto: "live consciously, buy wisely, make a difference." I try to live my life that way. There was an interesting article called, "What Does Not Buying Really Look Like?" One of the suggested online resources was Freeganism, which I'd never heard of before. I'm poking around the site now and I'm fascinated, but need to "simplify" my computer time and stop looking up stuff that I don't really need to be reading about it. From the site: "Freeganism is a total boycott of an economic system where the profit motive has eclipsed ethical considerations and where massively complex systems of productions ensure that all the products we buy will have detrimental impacts most of which we may never even consider. Thus, instead of avoiding the purchase of products from one bad company only to support another, we avoid buying anything to the greatest degree we are able."

I also got and read MMA News, the newsletter of the Missouri Midwives Association. My baby Z's birth story was published in it this month :) There was a note in it about the opening of The Womb Room in Columbia. How totally and completely COOL! I want to do something like that!

Yesterday, I started reading Dr. Sears's The Attachment Parenting Book, also from my LLL Group library, and I finished that this afternoon as well. There was a lot of repeat info from The Baby Book, but this book was shorter and more "readable." I also didn't get the same "if only you were doing things right, your baby would never cry" vibe from it that I feel is unfortunately prominent in The Baby Book. I have additional thoughts, but will have to share them another day (maybe).

No comments: